“The Science And Technology Of Longevity” presented by Vincent Giuliano PhD on June 26, 2016.
This talk is in two parts:
1. An overview of the science related to aging: where we are and where we are not, and
2. Science-based actions and interventions for extending health span and lifespans, with focus on the personal and practical.
View Part Two at:
Part I: The science
· the nature of human biology – the most complex system of systems known in the universe.
· Societal and personal stakes related to aging – why it is so important to crack open a deep understanding of it
· Multiple interacting biological feedback loops – the challenges they pose
· Why no single blockbuster anti-aging breakthrough is likely
· Why billions are repeatedly spent on clinical trials for drugs that won’t work
· The epigenetic drift to longer lives
· Leading theories and causes of aging – all mostly right, all incomplete
· Tribes of scientists who talk about aging – a tower of babel
· Limits to the scientific culture of reductionism
· Biomes and circadian regulation
· Metabolic pathways – linking them with others
· Things that can go wrong with aging: protein misfolding, intra-cellular railway breakdowns, NAD deficiency, mitochondrial breakdowns, etc.
· DNA wierdness – non-coding RNAs, transposable elements, aneuploidy, etc
· Towards a unified theory of biology and aging
Learn more about Vincent Giuliano by visiting his website at:
Visit the Silicon Valley Health Institute (aka Smart Life Forum) at
Silicon Valley Health Institute Smart Life Forum Palo Alto